Frequently Asked Questions
Inactivating the micro - organisms by heat – treatment has a number of advantages:1,2
• Heat - treatment releases active substances from the bacterial cells, these are able to cross the protective mucus layers to reach the cells on the surface of the intestine1
• Inactivated micro - organisms are very stable. They don’t require any special handling, such as refrigeration for storage or transport2,3
• Heat - treated microorganisms have a good safety profile1
• Heat - treated microorganisms can also be taken at the same time as antibiotics2
• Heat - treated microorganisms can be used in a wide range of patients1
Many clinical studies proved the efficacy and health benefits of inactivated micro - organisms.
Inactivated micro - organisms contain whole cells and the actives substances they contain. Both achieve their effects in a number of ways:1
• They physically prevent pathogens to adhere on the intestine
• They contain certain substances that prevent growth of pathogens
• They stimulate the immune system
- Lactéol® is an effective pharmaceutical product with a good tolerability and safety profile
- Lactéol® achieves its powerful effect against diarrhea thanks to its association of heat – treated Lactobacillus LB and its culture medium, which contains a high concentration of active substances. Lactéol®’s efficacy has been demonstrated in several clinical studies
- Lactéol® has a triple effect: it protects the intestine from pathogens, it stimulates the natural immune defences and the natural bacteria of the gut to reinforce balance1,3
- Lactéol® has a good safety profile thanks to its properties and to the heat - treatment of the strains. Safety is key especially in babies and infants population4,6
- Lactéol® is suitable for the whole family: in powder sachets for oral suspension for easy swallowing at any age, and as capsules, which can be taken from 6 years and older4-6
- Because Lactéol® contains heat - treated micro - organisms and culture medium, it is very stable, making it easy to transport and store2,3
- The Lactobacillus species used in Lactéol® are naturally present in the human microbiota, helping to stimulate the natural balance of the microbiota
- Lactéol® demonstrated its efficacy in the treatment of diarrhea associated with antibiotics7
Lactéol® is unique because it is the first postbiotic with clinically demonstrated efficacy and safety that is suitable for the whole family, from the youngest to the oldest.4-6 Lactéol® has unique properties. The unique bacterial species in Lactobacillus LB are registered and stored at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, and are owned by Adare. Lactéol® is manufactured in France to certified pharmaceutical production standards. The production process is also a proprietary technology. Lactéol®’s unique composition offers effective treatment of diarrhea with the benefits of being heat – treated.
Yes, Lactéol® should always be taken with adequate water or an oral rehydration solution and/or an appropriate rehydrating foodstuff.4-6 The micro - organisms in Lactéol® and the active molecules in the surrounding solution have been heat - treated, and the active molecules are stable. The active components of Lactéol® do not interact with other therapeutics drugs, so Lactéol® can be safely taken with other medications. 4-6
Yes, Lactéol® is effective for the whole family, from the youngest to the oldest. Lactéol® is also available as 340 mg sachets in order to facilitate easy dosing for babies. Given as a supplement to rehydration, the dosage of Lactéol® for babies can be adjusted according to the intensity of the diarrhea. The contents of the sachet can be mixed in half a glass of water and administered to the baby via a baby bottle.4-6
Please consult your physician or pharmacist for personalized medical advice. Always seek the advice of a physician or other qualified healthcare provider with any questions regarding a medical condition.
There are no serious side effects reported with Lactéol®. Lactéol® is made from heat - treated Lactobacillus species that are already present in the human microbiota and a reduced risk of side effects would be expected.4-6 If you have an allergy to any of Lactéol®’s ingredients, you should avoid taking Lactéol®. Hypersensitivity reactions and urticaria have been reported as part of the pharmacovigilance programme. Please if you notice any other side effect please contact your doctor.
Lactéol® contains lactose, it should not be used by patients with a history of allergy to cow milk proteins or with galactose intolerance, Lapp lactase deficiency or glucose or galactose malabsorption syndrome (rare metabolic diseases).4-6
Yes. Lactéol® can be stored at room temperature.
Thanks to Lactéol®’s unique and very stable composition, it does not required any special storage considerations such as refrigeration or freezing.4-6
Yes, Lactéol® contains freeze – dried, heat – treated Lactobacillus LB and its active substances, so it is extremely stable and can be taken with hot or cold drinks without any effect on its benefits.
It should be noted that both very hot and very cold drinks themselves may cause or worsen an already upset intestine, for this reason, very hot or very cold drinks should probably be avoided.
Lactéol® can be taken from birth. Lactéol® is suitable for the whole family.4-6 It is available either as 340 mg sachets, for ease of administration in babies, children and for older people who might have difficulty swallowing. It can also be taken as a 170 mg or 340 mg capsule for those who prefer taking medicine that way. Both sachets and capsules of Lactéol® should be taken at the same time as a rehydration solution.4-6
Lactéol® needs to be taken in addition to adequate rehydration, and can be taken with or without food or beverages. It is taken either as 1 to 2 capsules or 1 to 2 sachets per day, and depending on the intensity of the diarrhea, the dosage of the 340 mg form can be increased to 3 capsules or 3 sachets on the first day.4,5 For the 170 mg capsules Lactéol® is given in a dosage of 2 to 4 capsules per day, depending on the severity of the diarrhea, which may be increased to 6 capsules on the first day.6
The active substances of Lactéol® are heat – treated Lactobacillus LB and its culture medium.4-6 Lactobacillus LB is a proprietary strain that comprises the L. fermentum and L. delbrueckii species which are naturally present in the human microbiota. The culture medium contains a high concentration of active substances produced by the bacteria. Together these ingredients contribute to the effectiveness of Lactéol® in the treatment of diarrhea.3
Yes, Lactéol® demonstrated to reduce the risk of diarrhea in patients taking antibiotic therapy.7
- Piqué N, Berlanga M, Miñana-Galbis D. Health benefits of heat-killed (tyndallized) probiotics: an overview. Int J Mol Sci 2019;20.
- Warda AK, Rea K, Fitzgerald P, et al. Heat-killed Lactobacilli alter both microbiota composition and behaviour. Behav Brain Res 2019;362:213-23.
- Liévin-Le Moal V. A gastrointestinal anti-infectious biotherapeutic agent: the heat-treated Lactobacillus LB. Therap Adv Gastroenterol 2016;9:57-75.
- Lactéol® 340 mg sachets. Summary of Product Characteristics. Houdan, France: Adare Pharmaceuticals; 2017.
- Lactéol® 340 mg capsules. Summary of Product Characteristics. Houdan, France: Adare Pharmaceuticals; 2017.
- Lactéol® 170 mg capsules. Summary of Product Characteristics. Houdan, France: Adare Pharmaceuticals; 2017.
- Yap Soo Kor JA, Gwee Kok A, Chen ZA, Tai Bee Choo A, Wong Mee L. Lacteol® Fort treatment reduces antibiotic associated diarrhea. Singapore Fam Physician 2010;34:46-9.
LACTÉOL®: TO FIGHT DIARRHEA
Lactéol® is an effective treatment for diarrhea, given in addition to rehydration
and/or dietary measures, in both children and adults.1